Jan Hanson, Director of Kid's Ministry
Growing up in the Chicago suburbs in a Christian home (second youngest of 5) was where I first experienced God’s faithful presence and His love. Super fast-forward… married, moved to Napa, had our first child… and it was in 1988 that I first called Jesus my Savior, Lord and friend. Almost immediately He drew me in to children’s ministry, first as a volunteer, and then in 2000 as a vocation. My husband Brad has been my “right hand man” serving alongside me as a kids’ ministry volunteer all these years, and still does. We have two adult sons, Kyle and Cody, who are also our friends, which is pretty cool.
We became a part of the FCC family in April 2009 when God favored me with this role on the pastoral staff as Director of Kids Ministry. As my personal relationship with the Lord has grown, so has my passion for ministry to kids and families. I’m blessed to shepherd, teach and serve at Kids@First as we partner with parents to help kids know Jesus and their part in God’s Big Story (Psalm 78:6-7).
Hanging around kids keeps my spirit in tune with Holy Spirit, awakening me to the freedom of worshiping with a child-like faith (Matthew 18:2-4)! (If you think I’m kidding, just watch me sing and dance with the kids in our worship time… think David before the ark of the covenant! On second thought, don’t watch me!) My heart’s desire to is to strengthen kids’ relationships with Jesus while strengthening their relationships with their parents (Deuteronomy 6:4-9) and finding new ways to partner with parents (that’s “orange”!). I also find it challenging and rewarding to encourage the whole FCC family to share and pass on God’s big story with kids (Psalm 78:4-7).
Things that make me smile:
- Watching kids and their small group leaders interact at Kids@First on Sunday mornings
- Welcoming new families and encouraging the regulars as we become ‘orange’ together
- Laughing at – I mean with – the pastoral staff
- Mocha Lattes (hot or iced, I’m not picky!)
- The belly laughs that occur with my family and extended family due to the goofball sense of humor we share
Books beyond the Bible I’m currently reading:
- Seeing the Voice of God, Laura Harris Smith
- Creating a Lead Small Culture, Reggie Joiner, Kristen Ivy, Elle Campbell
- Space Trilogy, C.S. Lewis
- The Jesus Bible Storybook, every story whispers His Name, Sally-Lloyd Jones
- Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connecting Your Family to a Wider Community, Reggie Joiner & Carey Nieuwhof
- The Jesus Bible Storybook, every story whispers His Name, Sally-Lloyd Jones (4+ up)
- The Action Bible (David C. Cook, upper elementary)
- The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
- Case for Faith for Kids (Lee Strobel)
- The Goodness of God (Randy Alcorn)
Favorite Bible Verse:
I find that my favorite verse changes depending on the season I’m in and what God is pouring into me. Recently it’s been … “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” 1 John 3:1a
Phone: 707.253.7222 x231